[onionmx] SRV and v3 onions

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 20 00:27:28 CET 2018

On Wed 2018-12-19 22:33:16 +0200, John Paraskevopoulos wrote:
> Hopefully I'm not reading an irrelevant postfix documentation snippet
> (please correct me if I'm wrong), but reading here
> http://www.postfix.org/tcp_table.5.html I see no way how postfix could
> support mail rerouting using multiple routes as a suggestion from the
> "tcp_table".

I don't think this is the relevant documentation -- tcp_table(5) is not
"how do i open a TCP connection?", rather it is "how do i get
postmap-style lookups done over a TCP connection?"  So yeah, i think
this not the right docs to read :)

The issue might be more about dealing with the transport(5) mechanism.
Certainly postfix knows how to deal with an MX lookup that returns
multiple values and is capable of falling back between them.  That's
standard SMTP behavior (indeed, SRV is intended as a generalization of
the MX record).

now i really should review more of the implementation details we
currently have rather than speculating, though.  maybe someone deeper
into the current details than either of us could weigh in?

    --dkg