[onionmx] SRV and v3 onions

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Dec 19 18:34:55 CET 2018

On Wed 2018-12-19 12:56:44 +0000, ale via onionmx wrote:
> Unfortunately (and I hope I'm remembering correctly the state of
> things), there's a deeper issue with the semantics of supporting
> multiple SRV records and priorities: the current Postfix implementations
> (both of them) aren't hooked at the right "level" to handle retries,
> there is no tracking of previous delivery state, so we can't handle
> priorities in the same way as you would with MX records. Not a big deal
> if all you want to use SRV priorities for is v2/v3 selection, but worth
> keeping in mind.

I'd love to understand this gap more explicitly.  I'm pretty sure that
Viktor Dukhovni would want to get this fixed if he understood that there
is some sort of impedence mismatch with postfix doing something that is
more privacy-preserving for e-mail.  Can you help me figure out how to
describe this problem in more details?

    --dkg